Friday, April 5, 2013

Just Keep Swimming

For those of you that don't know I basically spent 90% of my childhood summers at the swimming pool. Between practices, life guarding and coaching the pool and swimming was my life. Then when I left for college I feel out of touch with the sport. I just never got into swimming without a team behind me. It just wasn't the same swimming alone. Which if you think about it is really weird considering you don't really ever "swim with anyone." So there was a good 9 year period were I didn't really swim. Sure I hit the pool for an hour work out here and there, but nothing consistent. This past week I finally decided I really wanted to try and start again. I found out that Biloxi has a Masters swim team right off base here. So I just took the plunge, literally and figuratively I guess and signed up. I had my first 2 practices this past week. I was really scared and almost wanted to chicken out the first day because I had no idea what it would be like getting back into the pool, would I embarrass myself terribly? But in the end I am ecstatic that I did it. I forgot how much I loved being in the pool. It just has this solitude to it for me. No matter how many other people are around I just get lost in it all and block everything else out. It just makes me realize that in life sometimes you can't be afraid to put yourself out there for something you are passionate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment