Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Stir Fry

So this post has been sitting unfinished in my draft section for like 2 weeks now. I really had the best intentions of finishing it many times. Anyway that is life with kids right? When I first started posting pictures of my meals on social media this was probably the recipe that got the most interest. I don't know what it is but people just really went crazy of my beef stir fry pictures.
I never was able to give people the recipe (until now) though because honestly there was no recipe. I have been making stir fry for as long as I can remember. It was one of the first things I had my dad really teach me how to make. My dad makes the best stir fry, and I request it pretty much every time I come home. So when I started tinkering with actually creating a recipe for the stir fry I had a hard time getting it right because honestly after making something by eyeballing measurements for so long it was hard to get it right. I won't say this is picture perfect ideal, but it is a really good base recipe. The reason I say that is because everyone has their preference on how they like their sauce (spicy, more garlic, more ginger, no garlic, less ginger, no spice, thin/thick, sweet, etc) So try it and then adjust to your liking.

This is how I do a beef stir fry, but it works with pretty much any meat you choose. The key is to slice the meat really thinly. If you have frozen meat it actually is easier to cut it super thin when the meat hasn't completely defrosted/slightly frozen still.
 Then you will marinate the beef. Heat a skillet/wok up super hot with a little oil. You want it hot to cook it fast and get a good sear on the meat. If your like me you may need to cook the meat in batches, as I have a tendency to use a large cut so we can have leftovers for lunch the next few days. Do not over crowd the pan!
 See that nice browned color?
 Remove the meat and cook the vegetables. Cook to desired tenderness.
 Add meat and the sauce in and let cook a few more minutes until thickened. Serve!

I love to make stir fry because it's really quick and simple. It's also a great way to pack in a lot of vegetables in one meal. I mean look at all that color!


Recipe


While the meat is marinating prepare the Sauce







Assemble the Stir Fry
*Note I don't say what vegetables to add because there are just too many great combinations and the basic way to make it is pretty much the same.
1. Heat up a skillet/wok with a little oil. You need to get the pan really hot.
2. Add meat and let cook until brown
3. Remove meat from pan (repeat if doing in batches)
4. Heat a little more oil and cook vegetables (I used a frozen stir fry mix here so it took about 10 minutes to cook vegetables through) If you use fresh vegetables it will not take as long.
*note I like my vegetables more tender so I often add a little water and cover the pan to steam the vegetables, but if you like very crisp vegetables you can skip that step
5. Add meat back in and all the sauce
6. Turn the heat down and let sit on the heat for just a couple minutes to let the sauce thicken.
7. Serve and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment