Friday, January 25, 2019

It's Not about Pro Life or Pro Choice...

*Note: I am not here to make this a political discussion so if your looking for that please skip and go elsewhere. This is about sharing my experience and sharing with the world that experience*

With everything going on in the world lately this topic has come up a lot on my new feeds. Yes it's because I have a lot of friends who kids have the same condition as mine so I notice it maybe more than others...but it's been weighing on my heart. Yes this topic hits very close to home for us and yes I may be bias but it is what it is and I needed a way to express myself so here it is.

Lets go back a few years ago. I was 21 weeks pregnant and just found out little K was diagnosed with Spina Bifida (you all can read about that in my earlier posts). I was giving the doom and gloom talks from not one but probably at least 3 different doctors. I was given the option to abort my child multiple times and there would be "no judgement" on that decision to do so. But here is the truth I never talk about because it's hard to admit. I did consider it...yes I considered aborting my child. Truth is that 66% of people who receive this diagnosis do abort their children. I don't know truly how seriously but as a healthcare provider I did weigh out all options it's what I am trained to do, it's my nature. I was a scared emotional pregnant woman you all, my mind was a mess and I when your told by multiple "medical experts" its a very reasonable option to consider it messes with you a little.

Sitting here now and I am looking at little K standing, walking (with assistance) and living life his own way to the fullest I have tears in my eyes to think about what if I had gone through with it. I truly and SO grateful my heart pulled me the direction it did. I am not going to say it's always easy, no far from it (but what kid is truly easy?), but it is worth every doctors visit, every surgery and every medical scare. Yes he has a lot of obstacles and yes he will definitely have some hard times, BUT I bet you that you couldn't find one person that has met him and not falling in love with him. This isn't about being pro something or pro something else you guys this is about spreading awareness. I get why doctors say what they say (hey I say things to my patience too to cover my butt), but I also live this life every day and I see many others who do to and I can say not one of them regrets living it. Do we have our "I hate Spina Bifida Days"...OF COURSE, but by no means is our (or our kids lives) horrible and doom and gloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment