Monday, April 3, 2017

Spaghetti Squash Bake

Don't get me wrong this girl LOVES her carbs (as I have said before a time or two or a million times). Some days though just call for a low carb kind of meal. There is no better substitute for me than spaghetti squash. Make no mistake it is NOT the same as eating a huge bowl of homemade pasta, but it is a great way to mix things up and I love how versatile it is. One of my all time favorite ways to eat it is to make it into a layered casserole dish with flavors that are reminiscent of lasagna. I almost called this recipe spaghetti squash lasagna bake, but it wasn't quite close enough for me to call it that. I thought it may be a little misleading. But you will see similar ingredients to a lasagna.

Bake the spaghetti squash (this is my method but you can use any method that works for you)
Micrwave the whole squash for 6 minutes, then cut the ends off and cut in half and scoop out seeds. Bake squash cut sides up.

Make sauce while the squash cooks (or use a jar of your favorite Marinara for a time saver). I did add 2 shredded chicken breasts to my sauce to add a little more protein.

Layer the spaghetti squash bake.
 




Bake in the oven then let it sit for at least 15 minutes prior to serving.


Recipe
Spaghetti Squash Bake

1-Spaqghetti squash
1 recipe Marinara (will be in another post) or 1-24 oz jar of marinara
1-15 oz container part skim ricotta
1 cup Italian shredded cheese blend (divided)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
1. Microwave spaghetti squash for 6 minutes
2. Cut off the ends and cut down the middle. Scoop out the seeds
3. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper
4. Cook squash cut side up for 30 minutes
5. Let cool a little
6. Layer in a 9x13 baking dish

Sauce-->1/2 of the spaghetti squash-->whole tube of ricotta-->1/2 cup cheese blend-->sauce-->1/2 spaghetti squash-->remaining sauce-->1/2 cup cheese

7. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes
8. Let it stand for at least 15 minutes
9. Enjoy!


1 comment: